Tuesday 22 October 2013

Do you Haiku?

Hello there. i'm well into my third week of studying now, as well as freewriting and clustering (aka mind mapping)my course has covered getting into the habit of writing daily. It doesn't matter what you write, the important thing is to get words onto paper. The idea is that among the gibbering there may appear a few gems that can be utilised for a story, poem or suchlike. I've enjoyed writing in my notebook, decorated by the lovely Horace. It's almost half full already and includes ideas for stories, character profiles and daily random thoughts as they occur to me.

Now, you may wonder about my title? Haiku is a Japanese form of poetry consisting of 3 lines with 17 syllables in all. The required format is 5 7 5, IE line one is 5 syllables, line two is 7 syllables and line three should be 5 syllables again. It's a way of expressing thoughts succinctly.

Here's some of my earlier Haiku



Silence from within
Frantic knocking, breaking glass,
Found in final sleep.


Autumn Haiku

At September's end
The sun shines defiantly
Denying autumn's end.


X Factor Haiku

Endless sob stories
Manufactured for TV
Viewing figures.

October Haiku

Closing the curtains
Snuggling down in the duvet
Shutting out autumn.

Try one, they're fun and not too time consuming. You could always turn several Haiku on the same subject into a longer poem.

This week I've been working on my assignments, I've written a short story, it's a shame I can't share it on here but eventually, when all my work is marked and returned I'll be able to share it all with you.

6 comments:

  1. Watch that busy bear.
    Pen in paw, head filled with words.
    Writing his magic.


    Hm. Rather a senryu than a haiku. Did a lot of both some years ago - but am out of practice now (and of course I would do better at writing in my own language too *lol). Love your autumnal haiku and the XFactor is just so true!

    Hugs,
    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great .haiku, now I need to scurry off and research senryu! :)

      Delete
  2. the words never fit
    I can not do poetry
    it is so frustrat...
    (ing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, it made me smile so wide my huge sharp bear's teeth were on show.

      Delete
  3. Even though I'm late
    I'd like to say your haiku
    have made me happy

    Not a work of art
    but I hope you receive it
    in the right spirit

    Alison xx

    And Laura's haiku reminds me of my all-time favourite limerick:
    There was a young man from Japan
    Whose limericks never would scan
    When people asked why,
    He answered, "Well, I
    Always like to fit as many words into the last line as I possibly can".
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do love a good Haiku and you have inspired me to have a go
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete

comments and constructive criticism welcome, trolls will be fried and eaten for a bear's breakfast